MONTHLY NEWSLETTER – DORINGKLOOF RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION (DRA)
We will be doing monthly newsletters containing info about our community and our neighbourhood watch.
This is a community that really works together, whether it’s looking out for our neighbours’ safety, helping find lost pets, or enjoying street braai’s together!
More about Doringkloof
• President: Iaan van Niekerk
• Vice-President: Graham Oosterlaak
• Crime Prevention: Nathan Pretorius
• Communication & Promotions: Jessica Viljoen
• Treasurer: Janet Els
More about Doringkloof
Doringkloof Slogan – Live, work and grow in safety.
Doringkloof Vision – To make Doringkloof a safe, unified community in which to live, work and grow in a balanced environment.
Doringkloof Neighbourhood Watch
Doringkloof makes use of licenced two-way radios for effective and immediate communication, where coordinators are on duty 24/7. This means that a crime-in-progress can be reported, suspicious vehicles or persons can be observed, and people can be put at ease.
A radio can be purchased at Fatima Café in Sonja street @ R450, and the licence fees are R50 per annum.
Doringkloof Neighbourhood Watch members are residents who
• Have the Doringkloof radios (keep them charged, volume up, and use the radio!)
• Actively participate in crime prevention activities such as look-outs, patrolling, responding to radio calls for assistance, etc.
Ways to take responsibility for your own security:
• Home Security: Electric fence, outside lights, outside beams, alarm system, surveillance cameras, dogs, security gates inside house.
• Know your neighbours: Meet your neighbours, exchange cell phone numbers, notify them when you are away.
• Be vigilant and aware at all times: Always be on the look-out for any suspicious characters and vehicles.
• Patrolling & Observing: We need visibility! Criminals need to know they are being watched.
Please ensure you join your street’s WhatsApp group, to be able to be kept up to date with any relevant information. There are also two bigger Doringkloof WhatsApp groups, as well as a Pets Group which is useful for all pet owners.
You can contact Jessica Viljoen on 072 124 4200 to ask to be added to any of the groups.
Care Group – Did you know Doringkloof cares?
Doringkloof has a dedicated Care Group that assists in 3 different areas:
• Visiting and welcoming new residents/owners
• Professional assistance in cases of death, trauma or abuse
• Assistance towards the elderly (trips to the bank, shops, hairdresser, etc)
Anybody who is keen to join this group in any way with input or assistance, please contact Doringkloof CARE – 0829405193
Ways to get involved in the community:
• Purchase a radio from the Fatima Café in Sonja street.
• Do neighbourhood patrols or observation.
• Share your surveillance camera footage with the Doringkloof Neighbourhood Watch when necessary.
• Volunteer as a radio coordinator.
• Become a “minute man” – a first responder to crime scenes.
• Join the Doringkloof Care Group.
• Assist with social projects such as fundraising events.
• Volunteer with “Friends of Doringkloof Spruit” for clean-up operations.
• City of Tshwane Waste Removal occurs on Wednesdays. Please put your dustbins out early in the morning (and not the previous night as this encourages “dustbin diggers”
• Ronnie bags Paper Recycling occurs on Thursdays
• ATP Reclamations collect on Tuesdays. (All recycling in one bag: glass, plastic, paper) Contact Sarah 078 173 3848. R50 per month. Bags provided – no need to sort.
Street Captain Initiative
• Almost every street in Doringkloof has a street captain. Most of them run a WhatsApp group for the street, which ensures ease of communication in our community.
• Residents must ensure that they are part of the their street WhatsApp group.
• We’re aiming to get 100% participation from all Doringkloof Residents.
Crime Stats for June (30 May – 25 June)
• Theft of outside lights (3)
• Theft of cellphone (1)
• Attempted vehicle theft (1)
• Vehicle break-in (1)
• House burglary (3)
• Attempted house burglary (1)
Surveillance camera project
We have been compiling a list of all surveillance cameras in Doringkloof. This could be helpful sometimes when we need to be on the lookout for any suspicious vehicles or persons. The list is coming together nicely. If you have not yet notified us of your CCTV, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The DRA’s banking details:
Bank/Branch: ABSA, Centurion. Branch Code: 630445. Account Number: 4069026417
The website www.doringkloof.net provides some more relevant information, downloads and other news.
Doringkloof Residents Association Exco